What better way to show you love someone on Valentine’s Day than to spend three hours on a Tuesday night slaving away over a hot stove?
Ok, so Masterchef”s Boeuf Bourguignon recipe may have been a tad ambitious for a mid-week treat considering I am the world’s slowest cook, but not only does the 2 hours oven time give you time to relax & watch a movie/have a bath/glass of wine and a natter, but the end result is absolutely worth the wait.
The recipe can seem a little daunting for someone like me who doesn’t do slow-cooking, casseroles, stews etc, but once I had finished the preparation, I realised it”s actually pretty easy to pick up. I would certainly recommend this Masterchef recipe to make sure you get great, tasty results, any day of the year!
175g streaky bacon
2 tbsp olive oil
900g lean braising steak cut into cubes
12 small shallots
1 tbsp plain flour
300ml red wine
300ml beef stock
115g button mushrooms
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
salt and pepper
4 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 160C, peel the shallots and chop the bacon
2. Fry the bacon in a little bit of oil until lightly browned and transfer to a casserole dish
3. Add a little more oil to the pan and fry the beef in batches over a high heat transferring to the casserole dish as they brown
4. Reduce the heat of the pan and fry the shallots whole for a few minutes – then transfer these to the casserole dish, making sure to leave as much of the juices in the pan as possible
5. Add the flour and a litte bit of stock to the pan and stir
6. When the flour has formed into a paste in the pan, add the beef stock and red wine and bring to the boil, stirring constantly until smooth
7. Add the mushrooms, bay leaf and herbs, season to taste with salt and pepper before pouring all the contents of the pan over the meat and shallots in the casserole dish
8. Cover and cook in the oven for around 2 hours or until the meat is very tender
9. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with mashed potatoes (try sweet potatoes for extra flavour)
Happy Valentine”s Day!